Tackling Climate Change
The carbon pollution in our atmosphere from burning fossil fuels like oil and coal is waging a direct and unchecked assault on our farming, fishing and forests – the cornerstones of Oregon’s rural economy.
When Jeff was young, his dad worked as a millwright. He spent his childhood in Southern Oregon timber communities, where timber jobs were what put food on the table and kept roofs over folks’ head. Fires and insect infestations are already killing trees at alarming rates across the Northwest, and climate change will only make these threats to our forests worse. Other iconic Oregon industries like our coastal oyster hatcheries are threatened by ocean acidification, and fishing and farming alike are facing threats from declining snowpacks and increased drought.
Congress needs to wake up. Climate change is real, and it’s bad for our economy and jobs, especially in rural Oregon and the places that most depend on our abundant natural resources.
- Merkley Applauds New Steps Forward to Tackle Dangerous Methane Pollution
- Senate Dems to EPA: Make climate rule stronger
- Senators Push EPA for Stronger Carbon Pollution Reductions in Clean Power Plan
- VIDEO RELEASE: Senate Rejects Keystone XL Pipeline as Merkley Helps Lead Senate Opposition
- Senator Merkley Argues Against Keystone Pipeline on Senate Floor
- Merkley Applauds Major U.S.-China Climate Agreement
- Merkley Testifies at EPA Hearing, Calls for Action on Clean Power Plan