Bend, OR – Oregon’s Senator Jeff Merkley concluded his two week tour of Oregon manufacturing facilities with a tour of Structus Building Technologies and a roundtable discussion with Central Oregon area manufacturing businesses. The “Made in Oregon” tour is a chance for Senator Merkley to hear directly from Oregon businesses about what is working for Oregon’s manufacturers, their challenges, and what policies can help retain and grow jobs here in Oregon and across America.
“It is only fitting to conclude my “Made in Oregon” tour here in Central Oregon. With some of the highest unemployment and foreclosure numbers in the state, central Oregon has felt firsthand the impact of lost manufacturing jobs,” said Merkley. “Oregon has some tremendous manufacturing facilities across our state, and I’m committed to taking what I learned on this tour back to Washington, D.C. We should be redoubling our efforts to support our existing manufacturing companies and fight for policies that encourage domestic manufacturing and creating jobs here in America.”
As a member of the Senate Manufacturing Caucus, Senator Merkley is committed to finding solutions to increase manufacturing in America while working to end unfair trade practices abroad that hurt domestic manufacturing. America has made progress in key areas but Senator Merkley believes the future of our nation depends on the health of American manufacturing.
During today’s roundtable with Bend area businesses, Senator Merkley heard from local businesses on how we can support manufacturing in America. They include:
- Creating a level playing field for American manufacturing and addressing the unfair and illegal practices of China’s four-tiered industrial policy;
- Incentivizing domestic manufacturing to help both established industries and startup businesses;
- Supporting clean energy manufacturing so that America’s future energy infrastructure is built here in America;
- Helping businesses access capital to create jobs and grow;
- Supporting workforce and education needs so that the next generation of students and workers are ready to compete in the global economy;
- Closing loopholes in the ‘Buy America’ program to make sure American taxpayer dollars support American manufacturing;
- And making government work for business by ensuring that rules and regulations are derived from solid analysis and accurate information.
For more information on Senator Merkley’s “Made in Oregon” tour, click here.