Portland, OR – Oregon’s Senator Jeff Merkley today kicked off a two week tour of Oregon manufacturing facilities with a tour of Vigor Industrial and a roundtable discussion with Portland area manufacturing businesses. The “Made in Oregon” tour is a chance for Senator Merkley to hear directly from Oregon businesses about what is working for Oregon’s manufacturers, their challenges, and what policies can help retain and grow jobs here in Oregon and across America.
“If we don’t build things here in America, we won’t have a middle class in America,” said Merkley. “Oregon has some shining examples of manufacturing facilities, but the reality is that we need more manufacturing jobs here in America. I’m excited to spend the next two weeks traveling around the state, hearing from businesses about how we can move forward, build a brighter future, and put Oregonians to work.”
As a member of the Senate Manufacturing Caucus, Senator Merkley is committed to finding solutions to increase manufacturing in America while working to end unfair trade practices that hurt domestic manufacturing. America has made progress in key areas but Senator Merkley believes the future of our nation depends on the health of American manufacturing.
During today’s roundtable with Portland area businesses, Senator Merkley heard from local businesses on how we can support manufacturing in America. They include:
- Creating a level playing field for American manufacturing and addressing the unfair and illegal practices of China’s four-tiered industrial policy;
- Incentivizing domestic manufacturing to help both established industries and startup businesses;
- Supporting clean energy manufacturing so that America’s future energy infrastructure is built here in America;
- Helping businesses access capital to create jobs and grow;
- Supporting workforce and education needs so that the next generation of students and workers are ready to compete in the global economy;
- Closing loopholes in the ‘Buy America’ program to make sure American taxpayer dollars support American manufacturing;
- And making government work for business by ensuring that rule and regulations are derived from solid analysis and accurate information.
For more information on Senator Merkley’s “Made in Oregon” tour, click here.